Vanilla Lavender Ice Cream with Olive Oil Jam
For the ice cream:
- 6 cups cream
- 4 cups milk
- 1 tsp. dry lavender flowers
- 4 ea. vanilla beans
- 2.5 cups sugar
- 24 ea. egg yolks
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup corn syrup
- 2 ea. egg yolks
- 1 cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
Method for the ice cream:
- Heat cream, milk, lavender, vanilla beans and half the amount of sugar to a gentile simmer. Meanwhile, whisk remaining sugar into egg yolks, until pale yellow and thick.
- Remove cream from the heat and temper into yolks by adding a small amount in a steady stream while whisking yolks constantly. Once the cream has heated and tempered the yolks, return the cream and egg mixture back to the heat in a large sauce pan.
- Cook over medium low heat until the ice cream base thickens and a temperature of 175˚ f is reached. Strain ice cream base through a fine sieve and cool to refrigerator temperature. Process in an ice cream batch freezer according to manufacture instructions.
- In a small sauce pot, cook sugar and corn syrup to 235˚ f. Meanwhile, place egg yolks in the bowl of a food processer. With the food processer working on full speed, slowly add the hot syrup in a steady stream to create an emulsion with the egg yolks.
- Once the hot syrup has been added, slowly begin drizzling in the California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil. Treat this just as you would an aioli or mayonnaise and slowly incorporate the oil. season with salt and cool to room temperature.