Spicy and Moist Gingerbread Cake
- 3/4 cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs freshly grated ginger root
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup Lyle’s Golden Cane Syrup or dark corn syrup
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill© Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill© Hazelnut Meal/Flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2-1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp ground mace
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- Preheat oven to 350°F with the top rack in the center of the oven. Lightly grease a non-stick bundt pan; set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine the California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil, ginger root, molasses, Golden Syrup and brown sugar. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently until the sugar is melted and all the ingredients are well blended. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and sour cream. Set aside.
- In standing mixer bowl, combine flours, salt, baking soda and spices. Blend on low for 30 seconds to evenly distribute the ingredients. Add the oil/sugar mixture and mix until the flour is incorporated. When batter gets thick and hard to stir, pour in egg/sour cream mixture. Beat until smooth; batter will be fairly thin.
- Pour into prepared bundt pan. Place pan into center of preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 325°F and very carefully spin the pan so the back is facing the front of the oven. Continue baking until the top springs back when touched in the center and the sides pull away from the pan, about 20 minutes more.
- Set pan on a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. Invert cake onto wire rack and remove pan. Let cake cool at least until it is barely warm before slicing.