Rosemary Olive Oil Cake with Fig Honey Relish
Recipe courtesy of Chef Sondra Bernstein and\u00a0<\/em>the girl & the fig<\/a><\/h3>","
For the cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup white wine
- 2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary
- 1 basket fresh figs, 1/4-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons mint, torn into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons saba, (can substitute balsamic reduction) for garnish
- 2 tablespoons California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil, for garnish
For the cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of a 9-inch round cake pan with parchment paper.
- Beat the sugar & the eggs together on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil, wine, flour, salt, baking powder, vanilla and rosemary. Continue to beat for 1 minute.
- Pour the batter in the baking pan. Bake until the cake pulls away from the sides, about 30 minutes.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for about five minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and let cool on a wire rack and 2 hours.
- In a bowl combine the figs, sugar, mint, lemon, honey & salt. Let sit for 5 – 10 minutes to let flavors meld.
- Place a piece of the cake on a plate. Add a nice spoonful of the fig relish on top and drizzle with the Saba and the California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil.