Roasted Smoky Tomatoes with Spaghettini and Garlicky Breadcrumbs
- 10 oz spaghettini pasta or Angel hair
- 2-2.5 lbs cherry tomatoes or fresh plum tomatoes
- 6-8 cloves garlic
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked mild paprika
- California Ranch extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- Sea salt as needed
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon California Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- Small handful fresh basil leaves, sliced into ribbons, plus more for garnishing
- Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 450 °F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Wash and dry the tomatoes.
- Place the tomatoes and the garlic cloves on a large baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and top with oregano, chili flakes, paprika, salt and pepper. Coat evenly.
- Roast the tomatoes for 30 to 40 minutes, flipping them every 10 minutes so they blister evenly.
- Meanwhile, prepare the breadcrumb topping.
- In a small skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the chopped shallot and sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently, until the shallots have softened and slightly browned. Add the panko breadcrumbs and chopped garlic.
- Reduce the heat and toast the breadcrumbs for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent the breadcrumbs from burning.
- Remove from heat and place the breadcrumbs in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Meanwhile cook the spaghettini or pasta of your choice according to the instructions on the package.
- Drain and reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Place the pasta back into the pot and drizzle with olive oil, tossing to coat. Add the smoky roasted tomatoes, garlicky breadcrumbs mixture, basil ribbons, and toss gently until combined. Add reserved pasta water as needed.
- Plate the pasta and serve with basil, a generous sprinkling of garlic breadcrumbs, and freshly grated parmesan cheese.