Olive Oil Biscotti
["Recipe courtesy of\u00a0Carol Firenze<\/strong>,\u00a0The Passionate Olive.\u00a0<\/a>\u00a0<\/em>Photo courtesy of Jeff Alexander and DHC \u00a9Alexander Imaging.<\/em>","Recipe courtesy of\u00a0Carol Firenze<\/strong>,\u00a0
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 6 Tbsp. California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. orange extract and 2 Tbsp. orange zest
- On a baking sheet, toast the almonds at 350º for 5 minutes.
- In a food processor, mix sugar and the California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil. Add the eggs (save 1 egg – mix it and use ½ for the mix and ½ for “the wash” or glaze). Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk to mix.
- Gradually add the flour at a low speed to the food processor; add orange extract and orange zest. Mix at higher speed for 1 minute to make sure it is all mixed. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- While waiting, flour the almonds while the almonds are still warm and grease a thin cookie sheet with California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil or butter.
- Form the mixture into a roll and place on a cutting board. Knead in the almonds. Use flour if it sticks to the board.
- Divide the dough into 8 parts and form each into long breadstick-like rolls. Place the rolls on the greased cookie sheet, well apart. Flatten each slightly and brush the tops with the saved egg wash.
- Bake at 350º for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Move rolls onto a cutting surface and slice into 1/2” diagonal slices while still warm.
- Place the slices back on the cookie sheet and bake for another 5 minutes. Cool on racks before serving. Store in an airtight container.