Mediterranean Steak Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
["Recipe courtesy of\u00a0The New Sonoma Cookbook\u00a0by\u00a0Dr. Connie Guttersen<\/a>\u00a0(Sterling Press, 2011)<\/em>","Recipe courtesy of\u00a0The New Sonoma Cookbook\u00a0by\u00a0
- 1 pound boneless beef sirloin steak, cut 1 inch thick
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups torn romaine
- 1 small cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 cup canned cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (2 ounces)
- 1 recipe Lemon Vinaigrette (below)
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)
- Preheat broiler. Trim fat from steak. Season steak with kosher salt and pepper. Let sit for at least 15 minutes. Place steak on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat until desired doneness, turning once. Allow 15 to 17 minutes for medium-rare (135°F) or 20 to 22 minutes for medium (140°F). Let the meat rest for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing. Thinly slice the meat.
- Divide torn romaine among four dinner plates. Top with sliced meat, cucumber slices, red onion, tomatoes, cannellini beans, and feta cheese. Drizzle with Lemon Vinaigrette. If desired, garnish with parsley.