Italian Plum Brioche French Toast with Whipped Cream and Fig Balsamic Vinegar
This french toast was inspired by our favorite local plum tree- standing at only 9 feet tall and pumping out hundreds and hundreds of purple gems each year. The sweetness of the cinnamon soaked challah and homemade maple whipped cream is perfectly countered by the tartness of sautéed Italian plums and fig balsamic dressing- making this recipe easily one of our favorites to enjoy each fall.
For Maple Whipped Cream:
- 1 pint organic heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- For Plums:
- 9 Italian plums halved and pitted
- Pinch salt
- Pinch cinnamon
- Pinch coconut sugar
- Cube butter to cover saucepan
For French Toast:
- 1 loaf challah bread (brioche works well too)
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pink salt
- Butter for skillet
- Melt butter in a skillet on medium-low heat.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together half and half, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt.
- Cut challah into slices.
- Soak challah in mixture for about 20 seconds- taking care to flip to both sides.
- Put soaked challah on skillet and cook evenly on both sides until golden brown.
- In a separate, small pan, melt butter.
- Sauté plums, salt, cinnamon, and coconut sugar on medium heat until tender and caramelized. Stirring occasionally.
- While french toast and plums are cooking, pour whipping cream and maple syrup into a stand mixer. A hand mixer works fine as well.
- Beat on high until cream is forming soft peaks.
- Top cooked french toast with sautéed plums, whipped cream, and a drizzle of Lucini’s Savory Fig Vinegar.