Grilled Flank Steak with Lime-Chipotle Sauce
- 3 lbs. flank steak, well trimmed
- Optional: Sweet red onions, red and yellow peppers to grill and serve, cilantro sprigs for serving
For the Marinade
- 2 Tbsp. minced chipotle in adobo
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup hearty red wine
- ½ cup soy sauce
For the Lime-Chipotle Sauce
- ½ cup honey
- 1 - 2 Tbsp. minced chipotle in adobo
- 3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. brown mustard
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 ½ Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Carefully trim the steak of any fat. Mix marinade ingredients together and pour over steak.
- Marinate for at least 4 hours covered in refrigerator, turning occasionally.
- In a blender, puree the sauce ingredients together until smooth and set aside.
- Correct seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Remove excess marinade from steak and grill over hot coals to desired doneness, approximately 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare. Let steak rest for 3 minutes before slicing across the grain.
- To serve: Slice meat thinly across the grain on an angle and arrange on warm plates topped with the grilled sweet onions, peppers and cilantro sprigs. Drizzle sauce over or serve on the side.
- Garnish: Grilled sweet red onions, grilled red and yellow peppers and cilantro sprigs.