Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Garlic Confit and Arugula
["Recipe and photo courtesy of Viviane Bauquet Farre of\u00a0<\/em>Food & Style<\/a>","Recipe and photo courtesy of Viviane Bauquet Farre of\u00a0<\/em>
- 8 thin slices rye country bread
- 1/4 cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil from Garlic Confit
- 1/2 cup Garlic Confit cloves
- 2 large handfuls baby arugula (4 oz) (115g)
- 8 oz (230g) aged Cheddar, Gruyère, Fontina or Manchego – coarsely grated
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place 4 slices of bread on a cutting board and brush with the California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil reserved from the garlic confit. Turn slices around and spread the grated cheese on the non-oiled side. Top each slice with a heap of the baby arugula. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Spread the garlic confit on the second slice of bread. Place the garlic confit slice on top of the baby greens and press firmly to seal the sandwiches. Brush the top of the sandwiches with the balance of the oil.
- Heat a large heavy-bottomed frying pan, to medium-high heat. Add the sandwiches, reduce heat to medium to medium-high, and sauté 4 to 5 minutes until golden brown. Flip the sandwiches and continue to sauté for 3 to 4 minutes until golden brown and the cheese has melted completely. Serve piping hot with a leafy green salad.