Gluten Free, Paleo Friendly Cinnamon Apple Cake With Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
The most perfect fall cake you’ll ever eat. It seems apple cake is less well known than say apple pie or cider to make with this time of year's abundance. One bite of this and you'll be adding a staple to your October time recipes. Warming cinnamon spiced cake with thinly sliced apples and sweetened with coconut sugar for a perfectly deep, comforting sweetness. This cake is gluten free and paleo friendly, and can easily become dairy free by swapping for your favorite non-dairy yogurt. This recipe makes two layers of cake, but can be halved, or made into muffins instead.
- 3 cups of your favorite gluten free flour (regular flour works well here too)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash pumpkin pie spice (optional)
- 1 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 cups thinly sliced apples- approximately 3 medium apples (using a mandoline works best here)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Avocado Blend Oil
- 1 cup whole milk yogurt
- 8oz brick of cream cheese
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter (softened at room temp.)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease two 9 inch round cake pans with Avocado Blend Oil
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, oil and yogurt until smooth.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. Gently fold in sliced apples. Pour batter into both pans equally.
- Bake cake for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While cake is baking, add cream cheese, softened butter, vanilla and salt to a stand mixer. Mix on med/high until well combined and smooth. Add in powdered sugar and mix again until well incorporated.
- Once cake has completely cooled, frost. Adding a generous layer of cream cheese frosting in between the two layers.
- Optional- bake a few very thin apple slices along with cake, taking care to flip, as a decorative topping.