Gingery Carrot Soup
- 3 Tbsp. California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 3 leeks, white part and 2 inches of green, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 hand of ginger, about 5 ounces, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 pounds carrots, trimmed, peeled, and chopped
- 1 russet potato, peeled and quartered
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- Sour cream for garnish
- Minced fresh chives for garnish
- In a large, heavy pot, heat the California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add the leeks and onion and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the ginger, carrots, and potato, season with salt and pepper, and stir with a wooden spoon to mix together.
- Pour in the stock, raise the heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover partially, and simmer until the carrots are very soft, about 1 hour. Remove from the heat and remove and discard the ginger. Let the soup cool slightly.
- Working in batches, process until very smooth in a food processor or blender. Return to the same pot, reheat until hot, and add water or a little more stock if the soup is too thick.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, ladle into warmed bowls, garnish with a swirl of sour cream and a sprinkle of chives, and serve. Or, let the puréed soup cool completely, thin if needed, cover, and refrigerate until well chilled. Just before serving, season to taste with salt and pepper, ladle into chilled bowls, and garnish with a swirl of sour cream and a sprinkle of chives.