Cold Almond Soup with Garlic and Grapes
- 9 ounces (about 2 1/4 cups) blanched whole almonds
- 3 ounces (about 3 slices) crustless white bread soaked in water for a few minutes, until soggy
- 3 garlic cloves, or to taste, crushed to a paste
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 drops—no more—almond extract (optional)
- About 3 cups cold water
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar, to taste
- 36 or more seedless white grapes
- Grind the almonds very fine in a food processor. Add the bread, garlic, and oil and blend well. Add the almond extract if you like.
- With the motor running, gradually pour in enough water to give the soup a light creamy consistency. Season to taste with salt and vinegar.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and chill for at least 2 hours. To serve, ladle the soup into bowls, drizzle with oil, and drop 6 or more grapes into each.