Chocolate Spice Cake with Figs
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp hot water
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp buttermilk
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla
- 8 fresh figs
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9” square cake pan with oil and parchment, leaving an overhang on two sides to make removing the baked cake a bit easier.
- Slice off the bottoms of the figs and then slice them in half. Set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Whisk the cocoa and hot water together until thoroughly blended and smooth. Combine buttermilk and vanilla.
- Whisk together the California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil and the sugars. Add the eggs and blend well. Whisk in the cocoa mixture. Stir in the dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating with the buttermilk and beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix just until well blended. Pour into the prepared pan and gently tap the bottom of the pan on the work surface to remove any air bubbles. Submerge the fig halves into the cake.
- Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until a toothpick tests with a few moist crumbs adhering. Cool 10 minutes. Run a thin bladed knife around the edges and gently lift out the cake. Cool completely.