Chicken Cutlets with Honey, Lemon, and Ginger Sauce
For the Ginger-Honey Walnuts:
- 2 Tsp. California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- ½ Tsp. grated ginger
- 1 small clove garlic, grated
- ½ cup walnut halves
- 1 Tbl honey
- ½ Tsp. coarse salt
- 1½ lbs. boneless and skinless chicken breasts (see note)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 Tbl California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tsp grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbl honey
- 1 thinly sliced scallion (about1 Tbl, green part only)
- To make walnuts, place oil, ginger, and garlic in small skillet. Slowly heat over medium-low until garlic sizzles. Add walnuts and honey. Cook on medium heat for about 2-3 minutes, adjusting temperature until honey boils and sticks to walnuts and walnuts turn golden. Sprinkle with the salt, adjusting to taste. Transfer to a side dish or sheet of aluminum foil. Do not put on paper towels because they will stick.
- With a sharp knife, fillet the chicken breasts through the thickest part to make 8 cutlets.
- Place them on a large piece of plastic wrap, sprinkle with salt and pepper, cover with second sheet of plastic wrap, and gently but firmly pound chicken with a meat pounder or underside of a small, heavy skillet to make fillets of even thickness of ¼ to 1/3 inch.
- Spread flour on a large plate and lightly dredge cutlets; shake off excess flour.
- Heat 3 tbsp. of the California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil in large, broad skillet until hot enough to sizzle.
- Add cutlets a few at a time and cook 1-2 minutes per side, until lightly browned.
- As cutlets are cooked, transfer to a platter and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Discard oil in skillet and let skillet cool slightly. Add remaining 1 tbsp. of oil, ginger, and garlic to skillet. Heat and stir over medium-low heat just until garlic sizzles. Add the lemon juice, chicken broth, and honey. Heat, stirring to loosen any browned bits in skillet, for about 3 minutes, or until mixture boils and thickens. Pour sauce over chicken and sprinkle with the walnuts and scallions.