Chicken and Cannellini Bean Chili
["Recipe courtesy of Muir Glen Organic<\/a><\/em>","Recipe courtesy of
- 2 lb chicken thighs, skin and bones removed, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons (or to taste) gray salt
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons smoked or regular paprika
- 1/2 cup masa harina or all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil, plus more as needed to cook chicken and for garnish
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 green jalapeño chiles (with seeds), diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 can (28 oz) Muir Glen® organic diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (19 oz) cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 3 zucchini, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- Grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
- 6 medium scallions, sliced (about 1/3 cup), if desired
- Place chicken in large bowl. Season liberally with pepper and salt. Toss with fennel seed and paprika. Sprinkle masa harina over chicken; toss to coat.
- 2 Heat cast-iron pot or 6-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1/4 cup olive oil; when it begins to smoke, add chicken, leaving excess masa harina in bowl. Spread chicken evenly so it covers bottom of pot in single layer. (Chicken may need to be cooked in batches to do this, adding more California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil as necessary.)
- 3 Cook chicken about 5 minutes on each side, turning with tongs, until browned. Remove from pot with slotted spoon to a plate, leaving drippings in pot.
- 4 Reduce heat to medium; add a little more California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil, the red onions and garlic to pot. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened. Stir in jalapeño chiles; cook about 2 minutes or until softened. Stir in chili powder. Stir in tomatoes. Heat to a simmer over medium heat, then stir in broth and cooked chicken. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer uncovered about 45 minutes or until chicken is wonderfully tender.
- 5 Stir in beans, zucchini and bell pepper. Heat to a simmer over medium-low heat; cook 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve immediately, or cool and store in refrigerator up to 3 days. To serve, sprinkle with grated cheese, drizzle with California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with scallions.