Caramelized Cabbage with Pancetta & Apple
["Recipe courtesy of\u00a0Chef Ryan Scott<\/a>\n<\/em>","Recipe courtesy of\u00a0
- 3 ounces thinly sliced pancetta, finely chopped
- 1 large green cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled halved, cored and diced
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 3 Tbsp. California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil, plus 1½ Tbsp.
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. hot pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- In a large skillet, heat 1½ Tbsp. of California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil. Add the pancetta and cook over moderate heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer the pancetta to a plate.
- Using the same skillet, heat the remaining California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil and with butter. Add the pepper flakes, onions, cabbage and apple and sauté at med-high, stirring constantly, until golden brown. This can take anywhere from 25-40 minutes, depending on how well your pot conducts heat. Keep scraping the caramel up from the bottom of the pot and incorporating it into the cabbage and onions. When the mixture is soft and golden, add salt and taste to ensure it is well seasoned. Keep browning until it reaches a caramel color - another 15-25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the lemon juice.