Candied Almonds Spinach Salad
For the salad:
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 1/2 lemon)
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (5-ounce) bag baby spinach
- Candied California Almonds (recipe below)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or favorite fresh berries
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 drop fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup roughly chopped or slivered California Almonds, roasted
- Place mustard and garlic in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in lemon juice, vinegar and sugar, making a smooth mixture. Gradually whisk in California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil. Place spinach, candied almonds, cranberries or berries and goat cheese in a large bowl. Toss lightly with dressing and serve immediately.
- Candied Almonds: Preheat oven to 250°F. Place a sheet of well-oiled foil on countertop. Place sugar in a very clean medium saucepan and cover with water and lemon juice. Place almonds on a baking sheet and place in oven to warm them.
- Bring sugar and water to a boil, and boil until sugar turns deep golden brown, swirling occasionally to ensure even color. Stir in warm almonds, and immediately spread coated almonds onto prepared foil. (Take care not to touch them caramelized sugar is extremely hot). Cool completely, then chop roughly or break into small pieces. Store airtight up to 4 days.