Blood Orange Cardamom Olive Oil Cake
["Recipe courtesy of Food52<\/a><\/em>","Recipe courtesy of
For the cake
- 1 1/2 cup organic all purpose unbleached flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 Tbl ground cardamom
- 2 Tsp baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 Tsp blood orange zest
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (I use full-fat)
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 3 eggs, preferably organic and free-range
- 1/2 cup fruity olive oil
- juice from 1 blood orange (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup blood orange juice
- 1 Tsp blood orange zest
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar
- 2 Tbl blood orange juice
- 1/4 Tsp ground cardamom
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch spring-form pan with olive oil, and flour the bottom of the pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, ground cardamom, baking powder and salt. Add the 2 teaspoons orange zest and whisk again.
- In a large bowl, stir together the yogurt, sugar, eggs, olive oil, and 1/4 cup orange juice. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined, with no lumps.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. I suggest you start checking after 30 minutes: you do not want to over bake the cake.
- Cool the cake for 15 minutes and then remove the sides of the pan. Detach from the bottom of the spring-form and place the cake on a large plate. Prick the cake all over with a fork.
- Whisk the syrup ingredients together, and then drizzle the syrup all over the cake. The syrup will seep into all those fork holes you just made.
- Allow to cool, then whisk together the glaze ingredients. Glaze the top of the cake with a knife or off-set spatula and allow 45 minutes or so for it to dry before serving.