Beetroot and Parsnip Salad
For the salad
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar
- 3 medium beets, peeled and sliced into thick matchsticks
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and cut crosswise into thin rounds
- 1 farmers’ market apple, cored and very thinly sliced
- A handful of baby kale leaves, or large leaves, torn up
- 1 Tbs. sherry vinegar
- ¼ tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 Tbs. California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- Make salad: In a large bowl, dissolve sugar and salt in sherry vinegar and ¼ cup water. Add beets and toss to coat. Set aside for an hour to create a quick pickle. Drain beets and blot them dry on paper towels.
- On a serving plate, stack beets, parsnips, apples, and kale in alternating layers to make a good-looking heap.
- Make vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together sherry vinegar, sugar, mustard, and salt and pepper to taste, whisking until sugar is dissolved. Whisk in oil until emulsified. Add shallot to the dressing.
- Drizzle the salad with the vinaigrette just before serving.