Apple and Celery Salad with Toasted Hazelnuts
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 Tbl apple cider vinegar
- ½ Tsp salt
- ¼ Tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 celery stalks plus leaves
- 1 large apple
- ¼ cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- ½ Tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ Tsp honey
- 2 Tbl finely chopped fresh dill
- ½ cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- Put the shallot in a medium bowl and add the apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper. Set aside. (Allowing the shallot to sit for a short time in vinegar pickles it slightly while also mellowing the flavor, removing the oniony bite.)
- Cut the celery into very thin slices, using a mandoline if you have one. Set the apple on a cutting board and cut as close to the core as possible, slicing a large segment off the side. Rotate and cut off another side, as close to the core as possible. Continue cutting in this fashion until you have 4 big pieces and a square-shaped core. Dispose of the core and place the flat side of each apple piece against the cutting board. Cut into thin slices. Then turn that stack of sliced apple on its side and cut into matchsticks.
- Add the California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil, mustard and honey to the bowl with the shallots and stir to combine. When everything is well incorporated, add the celery, apple and dill. Fold all of the ingredients together, coating evenly with the vinaigrette. Sprinkle the hazelnuts over the top and serve immediately.