Here are some suggestions for stocking a pantry that allows us to cook delicious, healthy meals.
Extra virgin olive oil, of course, is our top pantry essential. We’ll also include: whole grains, like quinoa and whole-wheat flour; seeds, including flaxseeds and pumpkin seeds; plenty of fresh veggies and fruits; and more.
To help you stock your pantry, we’ve compiled a checklist. It’s collected from several sources, including: Wellness Today, theKitchn, EatingWell, and Shape. You can also find healthy and delicious recipes in our January eNewsletter.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (for drizzling, salad dressing, cooking, baking, more)
- Brown Rice
- Whole-wheat and rye flours
- Whole-wheat pasta
- Whole rolled oats
- Pearl Barley
- Great Northern, cannellini, kidney, or pinto beans
- Red, and/or green lentils
- Tomatoes (though technically a fruit!)
- Brussels sprouts
- Kale, Swiss chard, and other greens
- Potatoes and/or sweet potatoes
- Blueberries and other berries
- Canned tomatoes
- Almonds, walnuts, pistachios, and other nuts
- Flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds, and other seeds
- Honey and agave nectar
- Raisins, cranberries, apricots, and other dried fruits
- Balsamic, red-wine, white-wine, apple cider, and other vinegars
- Dijon mustard
- Tamari soy sauce