Sourdough, Cranberry and Chorizo Stuffing
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider
- 1 1/4 cups dried cranberries
- 3 Tbl California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil divided
- 12 ounces chorizo sausage cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 cups chopped onion about 1/2 - 3/4-inch dice
- 2 cups chopped carrot about 1/2 - 3/4-inch dice
- 1 cup chopped celery about 1/2 - 3/4-inch dice
- 8 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tbl chopped fresh sage
- 2 Tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 24 ounces day old sourdough bread cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tsp salt
- 1/2 Tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly butter a 13-inch x 9-inch baking dish.
- Bring the cider to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the cranberries, remove from the heat and let stand 20 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 9 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil in the skillet. Stir in the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 18 to 20 minutes. Add the sage, thyme and cranberries and cook 1 minute; transfer to the bowl with the chorizo. Add the bread and toss well. Pour in the broth, salt, and pepper and toss thoroughly. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish.
- Bake stuffing, covered loosely with foil if the top browns too quickly, until golden, 55 to 60 minutes.