Recipe courtesy of Earthbound Farm, “Food to Live By: The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook" by Myra Goodman
For the Lemon Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup plus 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (preferably Meyer)
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- ¾ tsp. coarse kosher salt
For the Salad
- 5-6 cups (about 4 ounces) mixed baby greens
- ¼ cup whole tarragon leaves
- ¼ cup Lemon Vinaigrette (See above)
- ¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- ½ cup (2 ounces) crumbled mild semisoft goat cheese or feta cheese
- ½ ripe avocado, preferably Hass
- 8 dried apricots, each cut into 3-4 strips
For the Vinaigrette
- Place all the vinaigrette ingredients in a glass jar and seal lid tightly. Shake vigorously to combine. The vinaigrette can be refrigerated, covered, for up to 1 week. Let it return to room temperature and remove the garlic cloves before using.
For the Salad
- Just before you plan to serve the salad, place the greens and the tarragon in a large salad bowl and toss to combine. Add 3 Tbsp. of vinaigrette. Toss to lightly coat the leaves, then taste to see if more dressing is needed.
- Transfer the greens to a platter or individual salad plates. Scatter the almonds and cheese on top of the greens.
- Peel the avocado and discard the pit. Cut the avocado lengthwise into thin slices. Arrange the slices around the edge of the platter or plates.
- Sprinkle the apricots over the salad. Serve immediately.