For the Crab
- 1 jumbo softshell crab, cleaned
- Buttermilk for marinating
- Flour for dredging
For the Peppers
- 1 cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. capers
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp. curry powder
- 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Vinaigrette
- 4 Tbsp. tangerine or orange juice
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. honey
- 4 Tbsp. California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
Marinate crab in buttermilk for 1 hour, drain and dredge in seasoned flour. In small pan, heat California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil to 325 degrees. Carefully place crab in pan and shake pan gently to prevent sticking. Fry for 2 minutes or until crab begins to crisp and turn. Fry 1 minute longer and remove from olive oil. Drain well and keep hot. Reserve extra virgin olive oil for other cooking.
Pulse next 9 ingredients in blender until finely chopped. Let stand for 5 minutes and strain through cheesecloth. Discard liquid, remove pulp to covered container.
Combine final 5 ingredients and season to taste. Strain.
Recipe courtesy of Gregory Strickland CEC CDM,Executive Chef at Vi, Highlands Ranch, CO