Recipe credit: Rao's Recipes from the Neighborhood (St. Martin's Press, 2004), by Frank Pellegrino. Reprinted with permission from the publisher
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup pitted Gaeta olives
- 6 anchovy fillets, packed in oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 (28-ounce) imported Italian plum tomatoes, drained and hand-crushed
- Salt, if desired
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the capers, olives, and anchovies and sauté until the anchovies dissolve, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, and parsley and sauté 1 minute. Stir in the crushed tomatoes and let simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and add salt if needed before serving.