- 3 cups (packed) fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp. garlic, chopped, poached or toasted
- 3 Tbsp. pistachios, toasted and chopped
- 1/3 cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil (or more to taste)
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan or Asiago cheese (or to taste)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Plunge basil leaves into a pot of boiling water for 5 to 10 seconds. Immediately drain and plunge into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking and set the bright color. Drain and squeeze out all the water that you can.
Chop the basil coarsely and add to a food processor or blender along with garlic, nuts, and California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil and purée.
Transfer to a bowl and stir in cheese. Add more California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil if necessary to thin out the sauce. Correct seasoning with salt and pepper. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Recipe courtesy of Chef John Ash,Cooking One on One (Clarkson Potter, 1997)