- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 3 extra-large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil, Artois Ranch
- 1/2 cup golden brown sugar (do not use dark brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup roasted and mashed sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Orange Icing (recipe below)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour standard size ( 8 ½ x 4 ½ x 2 ½ ) loaf pan.
In a medium-sized bowl, add flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and mace, and mix together with a whisk. Set aside.
In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or with a hand-held mixer, add eggs and blend on medium speed until well mixed.
Add vanilla. With mixer running on medium speed slowly pour the California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil in a steady stream into the bowl
until fully incorporated with the eggs and vanilla.
Add sugars, mashed sweet potato, orange zest, and milk and mix until combined.
Add dry ingredients all at once and mix just until combined. Do not over mix.
Add chopped pecans and fold into batter by hand.
Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and place into preheated oven for 55 minutes to 1 hour. The loaf is done when a wooden skewer is inserted and removed,
and a few crumbs remain.
Cool loaf in pan for 10 minutes before removing to cooling rack. Loaf must be completely cooled before icing.
Makes 1 loaf.
For the Orange Icing
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
Mix all ingredients together with a wooden spoon and pour over loaf. Icing will be thick.
Original recipe by Lori Twitchell from Lemons and Lavender.