Recipe courtesy of Antipasti: Fabulous Appetizers and Small Plates (Chronicle Books, 2006), by Joyce Goldstein. Reprinted with permission from the publisher
- 1 ⁄ 2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ⁄ 3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ⁄4 cup water
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into 1 ⁄4-inchthick rings
- 2 ⁄ 3 pound fresh small white button or cremini mushrooms
- In a deep bowl or crock, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, sugar, salt, and water. Add the onion rings. Set aside.
- Trim the stem ends on the mushrooms and then wipe the mushrooms clean with damp paper towels. Add to the marinade, stir gently to mix well, and leave at room temperature for 3 to 4 hours.
- Serve the mushrooms with toothpicks for spearing.